THE PARISH OF ST GEORGE, HANOVER SQUARE (incorporating St George's Church & Grosvenor Chapel)
SAFEGUARDING POLICY STATEMENT 2019/20
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 24th July, 2019:
In accordance with the House of Bishop's Policy Statements 'Promoting a Safer Church (2017) and 'Protecting All
God's Children' (2010) and the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy 'Promoting a Safer Diocese' (2018) our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults with the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responsing to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Church Safeguarding Officer (CSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults and to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarging concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and
statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
We have appointed Graham Barnes (St George's) and Jennifer Eyre (Grosvenor Chapel) as our Church Safeguarding Officers (CSO)
and Sarah Jackson-Stevens (SG), and Virginia Allel Nazar and Fumiko Sekiguchi (GC) as our Children's Champions.
Copies of Promoting a Safer Church, Promoting a Safer Diocese and other relevant documents are held at the St George's
Vestry and Grosvenor Chapel Office.
Church of England Safeguarding Policy and Practice Guidance
If you have a safeguarding concern:
- Contact Details: During office hours (Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm except Wednesday) please make contact via the Chapel Office (02074991684 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first saying you wish to report a safeguarding concern and our Safeguarding Officer will be in touch.
Westminster Council - email@example.com or tel: 020 7641 4000
(Out of hours – 020 7641
NSPC: 0808 800 5000
Childline: 0800 1111
Stop it Now: 08081000900
Samaritans: 116 123
Family Lives: 08088002222
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 08082000247
Action On Elder Abuse: 08088088141
To download the Grosvenor Chapel's signed policy statement please click on the link